Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who Would You Like To Meet?

I was recently asked the question: Name three celebrities (alive) who you would like to meet and three celebrities (deceased) that you would have liked to meet and the reasons why for each one.

Now that was a tough question as there are so many celebrities in this world past and present to choose from, that it makes narrowing it down to only six a tough chore. But after a brief few brain cells ruptured thinking on this one, I finally came up with an answer and thought I would share my thoughts.

People that I would like to meet and why:

Stephen King - This man has been scaring the crap out of me since I began reading his early works and I admire his talent greatly. I have lived in the same area for a long time, but have yet to ever meet him anywhere in public. Not that I would bother him, but I would like to tell him thank you some day in person for the many years of entertainment that he has provided me by writing such deliciously scary books! (Not to mention, I would love to get even by hitting him over the head just once with one of the many books that that he has written that have caused me many sleepless nights). I am just kidding, I wouldn't really hit him. I would be afraid too, after all, this is the man who brought us such hair raisers as The Stand, Misery, Pet Semetary and etc., etc., etc. I would think by now his powers would be so great he could just simply look at someone and turn them to dust if they irritated him.

Vincent D'Onofrio - Simply because I find that he is an insanely talented actor whom I enjoy watching immensely, no matter which off-beat role he has immersed himself into. Over the course of his many movies he has made me laugh, cringe, be grossed out, be empathic, be angry and has even made me cry twice with his acting in (Homicide Life on the Streets 'The Subway' episode and The Whole Wide World). Not many actors are able to hit that many range of emotions with me while simultaneously holding my attention over the span of his career. Plus, I am still kicking my own ass because I missed my chance of meeting him in person in the late eighties when he was in Maine filming 'Signs of Life' (which I think is a gem of a movie and so under-rated). If only I hadn't elected to work that day instead of going to the movie set when the offer arose. Who knows, I could've ended up being an extra like the people I knew who went to the set.

Mariska Hargitay - She is my all time favorite actress and how could it possibly get any better for her than being the daughter of Jayne Mansfield? Please, the woman was destined to be a great asset to the acting community by genetics alone. But to give her credit where credit is due, she has a wonderful natural talent that comes across the screen flawlessly making it is easy to forget that her character of Detective Olivia Benson really is nothing more than a figment of someones imagination that she has brought to life from the pages of a script.

Now for those dearly departed souls that I would have liked to meet:

Princess Diana - Her humanitarian work was truly courageous as was her constant struggle with the British throne. Imagine how much more she would have accomplished if not for her tragic accident. She was truly an icon of our era and someone to look up to and strive to be like.

Marilyn Monroe - She led such a tragic life yet she still showed such grace touched with an unmistakable vulnerability about her that has remained to fascinate fans long after her death. She was a true Hollywood beauty, not at all like the plastic Barbie doll stick figures that are heralded today as the "A" list starlets.

Edgar Allen Poe - I am not sure if he really qualifies as a celebrity but he is in my opinion the greatest writer of all time. I began reading Poe before I hit puberty and became entralled with his cadence and style and dark undertones of his writing that has lasted to this day. I can't even remember how many times I have read and re-read his works and 'The Raven' is my all-time favorite poem. It just doesn't get any better than Poe.

Who are your favorites and why?

1 comment:

Drusilla said...

Vincent D'Onofrio, now there's a surprise! LOL Not sure about the others, but I'll agree with you on that one.